You Delivered. They Love You. Ask for a Testimonial and a Link.
ASK! Please write this onto a sticky note in large caps, and glue it onto your monitor. Few writers ask, let alone make demands. The more you ask, the more you will get. If you want to make an impact, you must ask.
- Ask for the gig, even if you don’t think you’ll get it;
- Ask for another gig from all your clients, as soon as you complete a project;
- Ask your clients to recommend you to their contacts – at least three of them;
- (Vital) Ask for a testimonial. Heck, write the testimonial yourself, and then write to your client – “I know you’re busy, and I’d love it if you gave me a personalized testimonial, but to save time, I’ve written this. Would you agree?” I’ve never yet heard of any client, ever, who said “no”;
- (Vital) Ask for a link on your client’s website to your website.