Do you keep a writing journal?
A journal can be your most important writing tool, because keeping a journal can be therapeutic.
I've covered writing journals and using them extensively on this blog, here are several entries other writers tell me helped them:
* Writing Journal Exercise: Tell a story, solve a challenge Got a challenge in your life? Your writing journal can help you to resolve it.
* Writing yourself sane - kill your inner critic When you start out as a writer, you can be plagued by your inner critic. Here's a tip -- over time, as you become a professional, with commitments, your critic will be silenced, simply because you don't have time to listen. :-)
* Weekly Writers' Journal Prompts: Get emotional Become more in tune with your emotions.
* What am I grateful for, what did I learn in 2007? You can use this journal exercise in any year, of course. :-)
* Weekly Writers' Journal Prompts: Warm up by writing letters in your journal When you're stuck, or can't get started writing, try writing a letter.
* Get creative: log your life Create a life log -- this is a fascinating idea, try it.